Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Snows - Is it ok not to do the minus-one thing?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
JonathanGennick
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105685
What I Drive: 2013 Race Red Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 JonathanGennick Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rambleon84 View Post
Do take into consideration if you go with just swapping tires that unmounting your tires will probably be $10 or so a corner and then you have to do that again in the spring and you do risk your bead getting messed up, chance of ruining a tire...so it may be cheaper in the long run but could end up just being wasted money in the long haul
In the long run, I'm realizing it will be less expensive to have two sets of rims. On my current two cars, I've been paying to have the wheels swapped twice per year. Hadn't realized steel rims could be had for such a reasonable price. That was a revelation to me when I looked at the Tire Rack site on the weekend.

I only just bought the vehicle though, so am kind of wanting to hold the line on more expense, at least for this year, but snow tires where I live are as close to a necessity as one can get. They make a night-and-day difference. I won't not buy a set. I just wish I didn't need to outlay so much immediately after buying the vehicle.

I checked pricing again this morning. Blizzaks in the stock size are $40 per tire more than in the minus-one size. So that is something for me to think about. And the minus-one size is merely the size that goes on the Focus S model, so it is, in fact, one of the supported stock sizes.

Edit: If it were a bicycle, I'd buy both sizes and swap them back and forth. I like to experiment like that, but can't really afford it when it comes to cars.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Additional text