Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - new to me '02 ZX3 - normal problems?
View Single Post
Old 11-05-2012, 08:44 AM   #9
rambleon84
So mote be it

Fan#: 51521
What I Drive: 2007 Dark Toreador Red ZX3

FF Reputation: 23 rambleon84 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Planner View Post
3- Are there replacement polyurethane bushings for the shifter? I already plan to swap the rear torque mount, read up on that. Not sure I want to put money into a short throw shifter yet (my kids will not have an STS before I have one in my Subaru :D), but the shifter is a bit sloppy. I have a 5MT in my '06 Suby Outback and replacement bushings abound for that car.

I do plan to add an FSwerks front stress bar and am still debating whether the Massive or FSwerks rear is the better choice. Down the road, will install the M-300-ZX3A SVT assembled suspension, some black Sparco Asseta Garo 16" wheels, a larger rear sway bar, do a light tint on the windows and a cold air intake. Maybe a cat back - but that's all Dad will pay for. That'll leave the car with a taught suspension, looking good and running great. Kids can fund the rest.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8335/8...e7f93647_c.jpg
The rear engine/transmission mount is known around here as the dog bone mount, that will be your best bet for tightening up shifts. Many companies sell a version that use stiffer polly bushings.

As for the front stress/strut bar, I'd move that to lower on you list.. It makes very little difference to daily driving, our front strut towers are tied in nicely to the firewall and dont have too much movement. Leave that for down the road, same for the rear stress bar (although that one is slightly more beneficial.) Best gainers in real handling help will be new struts/shocks and stiffer springs , and what you linked to will be a great $/performance gainer (especially sicne the stock suspension has 80k+ miles on it.) Getting those Sparco wheels and some sticky rubber will also be a great addition. I'd also double check to see if your model came with a rear sway bar, crazy as it sounds some models didnt include one.