Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Way to go Ford....
View Single Post
Old 11-04-2012, 12:38 AM   #55
maalox
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 105436
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE 5dr

FF Reputation: 1 maalox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHour View Post
why?
The technology isn't the issue, the end user is. Let's remember that this is an entry-level vehicle. I'm simply suggesting that this market demographic is maybe not best served by this advanced technology. They aren't familiar with the way it works, and may consider normal operating "quirks" to be problems instead. And they aren't really going reap the benefits of it in the first place. As an example: The Volkswagen Golf/GTI and Jetta/GLI. The non-turbo gasoline cars use a conventional automatic, while the turbocharged and diesel cars use a DCT. Why? The non-turbo cars won't make the most of it, and it increases complexity, and purchase and maintenance costs over a traditional automatic.

So for Ford, The DCT may have been better left for just the higher end of the Focus range, even just the Titanium. And the rest of the range(used as fleet vehicles and by non-enthusiast drivers), should have used a conventional automatic. I understand that there are other benefits of the DCT outside of the enhanced performance, but are they worth the cost of the reduced reliability(perceived or not)?

The problem here is that Ford bunted on this; they used a DCT instead of a traditional automatic, but they didn't offer it with a proper shifting mechanism or associated programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
This person doesn't realize how prevalent DCTs now are.
I work in the auto industry, and I can assure you I know how prevalent they are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
...or maybe its just the good old American consumer...
Bingo.