Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Those With the Metra faceplate, how did you do it.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 11:47 PM   #15
Michaelc1220
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93834
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SE hatchback Sport

FF Reputation: 2 Michaelc1220 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpeaches View Post
I'll assume that you're directing that at me

My car is the SE trim with the 203A equipment package, so just the base sync system. No MFT or nav included stock.

The setup (minus the cost of the metra faceplate itself) ran around $700 or so. The screen was $375, google "669 double din" and you'll find a bunch of places that sell the Lilliput 669-HB monitor in a double din enclosure (get one with a capacitive touch overlay, you'll want it for windows 8 gestures). The computer was a Zotac AD-10 mini computer and was about $200. The AMD E-350 is plenty to run windows 8. You then need a power supply (I used the Carnetix P1900 ~$80), a USB GPS adapter (I used the BU353-S4 ~$30) and a hard drive and ram for the computer (I used extras I had from old laptops). For nav, I'm using an older copy of Microsoft Streets and Trips (~$40) until something better like Copilot or Sygic or Garmin gets ported to Windows 8.

The advantage to me is that most aftermarket GPS nav equipped radios run around $700 as well. So, for the same cost, you get an awesome, multitouch capacitive screen and a full featured windows 8 computer that you can load whatever you want on. Downsides are the wiring complexity and lack of single point of warranty in the event of equipment failure.

I simplified a lot by keeping the stock Ford radio in the dash and piping my music via bluetooth from the computer to the stock radio. This gives me the best of all worlds: AM/FM/SIRIUS/Phone from the stock radio, and GPS nav/any apps and music that I want from the computer. Also, sync automatically maps the steering wheel buttons when you connect via bluetooth, so when I play an album or playlist from the Xbox music app on the computer, the next track/pause/etc. buttons on the steering wheel control the computer audio playback.

I am very pleased with the setup but it was a fair amount of time to install (especially since I was learning a lot on the way).

Let me know if you have any questions.
Thanks for all the info! I think thats a little more than I would be willing to do but yours certainly looks great! Glad to see your enjoying in too lol