View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 04:32 PM   #103
bboyjamin
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103696
What I Drive: 2007 2.0L

FF Reputation: 1 bboyjamin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thank you NotoriousOne! Your how-to is better than Haynes or AllData.

Here's my experience from following NotoriousOne's instructions:

At first I pulled it all from the car piece-by-piece, but I had trouble with reassembly. I couldn't get the CMC to connect properly to the pedal assembly. I then used the steps below, and found it much easier.

After completing step 5, you've got all the switches off of the pedal assembly. At this point you can remove the entire assembly and CMC without disassembling.

(a) Remove the 4 bolts that connect the pedal assembly to the firewall (step 8).

(b) Remove the white plastic pin which attaches the brake pedal to its actuating rod(also pictured in step 8, in the middle of the 4 bolts.)

(c) Complete steps 9,10,11,12.

(d) Also remove the metal clip at the base of the CMC. This clip holds the CMC in place on that threaded rod.

(e) Pull out the pedal assembly, with brake and clutch pedals, and CMC.

(f) Stand up straight, put it on the workbench, and swap the CMC.

(g) Make sure the butterfly clips from step 12 are already in the new CMC. (DO NOT attempt to connect the hoses to the CMC, then put the clips in.)

(h) Place the whole assembly back in, pushing the CMC connectors through the firewall.

(i) Do not attach the pedal assembly yet. Ask a friend to push the base of the CMC into the firewall and wiggle it a little. At the same time, from the engine side, you push the lower hose in, then the upper hose. The butterfly clip clicks when the hose locks in.

(j) Put the metal clip back on the base of the CMC, attach the plastic pin to the brake actuator. Bolt the assembly to the firewall.

Continue from there..