That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducati20 View Post
So I might be able to add to this...
I did the snorkel delete and full flap removal, left the OEM filter intact for 3 tanks of gas (2 87 and 1 91). Gas mileage remained within 2 mpg of my norm, which is 30 mpg almost all city (variability came from my foot being heavier one day than another... lol). Low down throttle response remains poor (expected), but above 3K rpm the car felt a little more responsive on 87 and 91 respectively. I pulled the flap entirely to leave it intact if I choose to return to stock, noted no temp change on the coolant (just gauge watching) and did not note the cooling fan running more than normal, which tells me it's making little to no difference in airflow to the radiator (as expected).
I have ordered the K&N drop in and will run a couple of tanks through that as comparison. I really just want to solve low end response more than anything, and it looks like the drop in will help with that.
I am considering the newmission mod or a variation of that mod as I'm not convinced I will see a "ram-air" effect at low speeds and might just route the additional air from somewhere else (definately noted the massively restricted flow in the stock setup). I see the benefit of the mod, just might go a differant way.
You will definitely notice a better throttle response with the K&N. The initial lag will disappear and response will feel much more cleaner and linear. Some placebo, but driveability is greatly improved.

Before doing the Newmission or a variant, take into consideration your average trip. My car is a work commuter, and my commute is mainly in-town/rural. I saw an average loss of 3-4 mpg with the Newmission and my scoop. That being said, others that have mainly highway commuting report seeing good gains, and the one extended highway trip that I took also supported that.

For my driving and current setup, this intake setup has shown to be the best all around. I literally ordered a new airbox (entire box w/maf sensor and OEM filter for abt $120 through Steve at Tousley, and the only way you can get the lower half of the airbox) to de-Newmission completely. That being said, I am going to revisit the Newmission mod once I build my custom exhaust to retest on that setup

Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing your results

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-