Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Way to go Ford....
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 02:31 PM   #53
SpinKix
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95912
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Gray Ti 5D DCT THP

FF Reputation: 3 SpinKix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I subscribe to Consumer Reports and let's just say I take their ratings with a very large grain of salt.

After reading this thread, I decided to take a good look at CR's review, along with all the user reviews too.

The users seem to mirror what we read here in this forum. MFT and DCT problems mostly. People angry over problems and dealer responses.

But there were many favorable reviews from owners like me who really like the Focus.

The full CR review reflects this too.

In fact, they rave about how well the Focus handles, how refined the car is, and overall give the car very high marks.

But all this hoopla is about is the reliability ratings.

Out of 17 reliability rating categories, only one was average (squeaks & rattles). 10 were rated 5 out of 5 (best possible), and 4 were rated 4 out of 5.
If we stop here, the Focus is way above average in reliability.

But then there are two "much worse than average" (1 out of 5) ratings for "transmission minor" and "audio".

So even though "transmission major" was in the best 5 out of 5 group, these two are responsible for the "much worse than average" final overall rating, and blackballing the Focus.

Are they saying audio and minor transmission problems are more frustrating to live with?

So to sum up, the Consumer Reports actually rates the Focus above average on 14 out of 17 categories, 10 of them the best ranking possible.

But they trash the Focus (and Ford) over 2 "worst" ratings.

I'm off now (in my Focus) to get more salt.