Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 12:00 PM   #1487
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

FF Reputation: 46 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hand-filer View Post
Why are you saying Ford is using sub par bolts? When you exceed the factory torque specs. you are playing with fire, plain and simple.
Nothing wrong with backyard engineering as long as you follow some simple rules.
In the end if there is a fix for this problem it will be something entirely unrelated to the strut mounting bolts.
FYI the Mustang struts are held in place with 8mm studs and nuts, are torqued to 25 foot pounds and do not have issues.
I think that what should be taken out of Mikes statement is the frustration that he, I, and many others are feeling with this situation. My car has had the clunk from day one, to some degree or another, and now has over 10k miles. It's difficult for people like myself to try and maintain a positive attitude when Ford only appears to be gathering data while frustrated owners throw everything at the car in an attempt to locate the issue and find a fix.

That being said, I wouldn't discount the strut mounting bolts or any other part of the front suspension. Something in there is wrong, whether it be wrong parts, incorrect torques, misalignment...we don't really know for sure. What I do know is that Zack is one of the only people investing his time and money into trying to come up with a solution, and he's doing it in a manner that is honest and up-front. Granted, whatever works for his car may not work for all, but it will work for some and hopefully resolve some of our members' anger and frustration.

Then, just like the '13 model offerings, Ford will take our free labor and testing and incorporate it (hopefully) into a fix.

FocusFest 2013: Best of Show
Gateway FFW: Show Class Outstanding
September '13 ROTM
2014 FiST-