Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Those With the Metra faceplate, how did you do it.
View Single Post
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 AM   #14
mrpeaches
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 103895
What I Drive: 2012 White Focus SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 mrpeaches Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Ford Blue View Post
I like that setup you have, but couldn't you just use a ipad mini or a 7" android tablet and avoid having to use all that extra equipment.
Certainly. I tried a Nexus 7 originally, but had several issues that made it non ideal for my use.

The first was that I had issues fitting the tablet with the charger cable attached behind the faceplate. When the cable was plugged in the tablet was tough to mount centered on the dash opening. The cable would also come lose at times due to being squished by the air vents. I tried a right angle micro USB cable but it was still spotty at times.

I also found that with the gps running and the tablet brightness up to max (for daytime nav use) the battery would still drain even though the device was hooked up to a high amp car charger. This happens a lot on cell phones as well. Since the car charger is only charging while the car is running, this would eventually lead to a very slow draining of the tablets battery and require a pull of the dash to remove the tablet to charge on an outside source.

Finally, I take a lot of trips for business, and on some of my longer trips the tablet would drain and require a pull of the dash again to charge (yes, i placed it in airplane mode before leaving it). In addition, if the battery depleted for any reason you would have to pull the dash off in order to reach the power button to turn the tablet back on.

Android tablets and iPads are great, but I was looking for something that I could use while leaving it permanently mounted. My setup now is more expensive and more complex, but it works for me. If someone else is better served by a tablet of some type, then rock on.