Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Fog Light Installation - S Model (with Pics)
View Single Post
Old 11-02-2012, 05:33 PM   #63
Chaddz3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96992
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 17 Chaddz3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hybrid dude View Post

I would like to add an idea: I actually purchased one part (used) for the fog light system before I was aware of these stumbling blocks, that being the switch (C-Max uses the same switch), which came from ... a Focus, I think 2012, which as you know has the built in fog switch on the left. Would it be technically possible to remove a section of the actual fog button, then insert and wire some type of aftermarket switch (toggle, rocker, other) and then have the wires come out the back of the entire switch? Or, is there too much circuit board/whatever in the way to make this work?

Thanks
If you were really gifted with electronics, the switch could probably be altered to drive a fog light circuit off the original fog light button, but it would require major redesign of the whole light switch circuit, as everything ties in to a controller chip on the back side of the printed circuit board inside the switch.

THe other idea (if i understand it right) is to remove the fog light button and install some kind of switch mechanism for the fogs (independant of the original switch electrically, just sharing the housing.)...hmm... Possibly.. The switch is contructed as follows...

(going from the front (facing the driver, to the rear where it faces the dash..)

all the buttons install from the front side of the switch and press in until they lock in to place.. I can't really tell where the locking clips actually are to release them to pull the fog button out, but i'm sure it has to come out somehow..then it would just be a matter of mounting some other type of small switch that would fit without interfering with the printed circuit board which rests right under the back piece with the barcode label on it. there looks to be around an inch of clearance between the front of the switch assembly and where the circuit board lives (once you get the fog button removed.)

The circuit board itself is the same shape as the switch assembly.. and goes across the entire assembly from left to right and top to bottom.. there is one access hole directly center toward the top you may be able to route wires through, and it looks like it shouldn't interfere with the knob mechnanism of the switch.. (if your careful). The biggest concerns would be getting everything to fit togehter tightly and not have any interferance with the dimmer buttons or the knob assembly...)

If you have an extra switch and feel like doing some "engineering" it might be worth trying... I've thought about doing it myself, but been busy with my RC10L lately... so all Focus mods are on hold until after winter R/C racing season is over..