FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by inxsary View Post
Before anyone gives me the "it's winter gas" excuse, please read through before commenting.

Since none of my previous cars had a fuel economy guage, I've been religious about getting the most out of my gas since getting my 2012 SE Sport Hatch in April. For the first few months (say, until August), I was averaging 36mpg. Which for me is great, considering my last Focus got about 28. I would reset one of the gauges at every fill up and watch the readings in order to maximize my mpgs.

Typically, I would drive to work on a single-lane road about 40 miles each way averaging 55-60mph, A/C on. I would watch the gauge from a new fill up slowly count down from 42mpg until it settled someplace in the 36's.

However, I now can't get the average mpg past 34. It might be winter gas, but it started happening in August. Do they change the gas that early? I livein Florida, do we even get winter gas here?

The other thing that makes me a little worried...when I'd fill up and reset the gauge, it would start at 42mpg and drop DOWN as driving progressed. Now, it starts at 20mpg and counts its way UP. What's up with that?

I filled up on Tuesday, reset the guage, and drove about 4 miles home. Gauge showed 32mpg. When I started the car the next morning, the guage showed 24 mpg. ?????

Any suggestions on what else to look for, to indicate possible problems, is appreciated.

Thanks so much.
-Karen
Hi inxsary,

Swing by your dealership, or mention this concern the next time you have a scheduled maintenance appointment/oil change. Your Service Techs will be able to diagnose any possible issues and address your concerns about fuel efficiency.

In the mean time, you can check out Ford's tips for improving fuel economy here: http://owner.ford.com/servlet/Conten...=1239636411265

Feel free to reach out to me via PM if you have any other questions or concerns.

Have a great weekend!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply