Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2012 Titanium Front Strut Low Speed Noise (Clunk/Rattle)
View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 04:57 PM   #1457
Zillon
Focus Addict

Fan#: 17393
What I Drive: '13 JCW GP

Points 2,504, Level 30
Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30 Points: 2,504, Level: 30
Level Up 36% Completed
Level up: 36% Level up: 36% Level up: 36%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 27 Zillon Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes. If the bolts were backing-off Loctite should help this (God, I hate disassembling with Loctite). But if it's bolt stretch, the only things that will solve it are higher grade bolts (which at this point only leaves 12.9) or a larger diameter bolt (but it needs to thread into the strut...)

Will other strut mounts with larger strut bolts fit this strut? I don't think anyone really wants to drill into their frame for a fix that might work, though...
While there is some play to allow for larger diameter bolts, how big we could go is something that I'm not quite certain of. If we were to step up to a M10 bolt, how much stronger would that be?

Along the same lines, I've been mulling over two different plans, one a little more drastic than the other. The first involves replacing the existing bolts with larger-diameter bolts, and drilling out and re-tapping the strut mounts for a larger bolt. The other involves drilling out the strut mounts, inserting a larger diameter bolt through the bottom of the strut mount, and securing it with a washer and locknut from the top of the strut tower. These are two options that I'm not quite willing to pursue yet, as I'd like to see how seriously Ford considers the data collected from us.