Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - What octane fuel to use?
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 AM   #17
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I will be the bad guy here and say DONT use e85 , the ecu doesnt need time to learn the o2 , the o2 will make changes faster then you can see it needs changing even on e85 this is what gets a lot of people in trouble they dont understand e85 / Tuning and think its a wonder fuel and it isnt

It the most / only unregulated fuel in the US which should say a lot, its never a 103 - 105 octane like people say your lucky if its even 93 when they get through with it and why they dont have to put the octane on the pumps , it has less energy , less MPG and under WOT the ecu has NO WAY to adjust for the fueling unless your in a 2012 or newer Focus and running 100% e85 you need to add 26 - 30 % more fuel which nothing older then a 2012 Focus can do at WOT with any fuels

The IRL did go to "E" fuels but the octanes were strictly regulated and they did have much higher octanes then anything ever sold at the pumps

Yes I have seen gains in TQ with running e85 then he returned 4 days later with e85 from another station and was down on power and had spark knock because the blend wasnt the same as his car was tuned for , most guys are not as lucky as he was and they tow the car home

My opinion till they regulate the octane its JUNK fuel , 95% of all the guys over the years that raved about e85 have stopped using it because of failures

There is a ton of misinformation out there about this fuel , best thing I can say is do a LOT of homework before using it

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus