Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Vibration / Shudder on Acceleration
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #1
LarryLK
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105478
What I Drive: 2001 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 LarryLK Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Vibration / Shudder on Acceleration

I've been working on a 2001 Focus with 116,000 miles, for my daughter that has not had much maintenance done on it, so I've done quite a bit. This forum has been especially helpful during the process with tips and tricks for the past month. I really appreciate all the contributions to this site!!!!

In order to replace the alternator, and I had to remove the bolts to the frame on the passenger side mount and move the engine forward about 2 inches to get the alternator in and out. Not thinking, I didn't mark the position of the mount before I moved the engine on the passenger side and just realigned the bolt holes when it went back together.

Since then I've replaced both the passenger and driver's engine mounts - not the dog bone (I'm not getting any noticeable engine movement when shifting forward to reverse and back). I was getting a lot of vibration at an idle throughout the vehicle. Replacing the 2 mounts cured that issue, but now I'm getting a vibration/shudder that is especially bad during hard acceleration. I know that this is a symptom of a bad CV joint, but I don't remember having the problem before I started messing with the mounts. I just finished reading the thread "Info about Motor Mounts", so I'll probably go ahead and replace the dog bone mount, loosen all the mounts, and realign everything before I start replacing axle shafts.

Any thoughts????? Thanks Guys!!