Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Massive Crower cams installed 2009 focus, VIDEOS!!
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2012, 01:52 PM   #47
Gettysburg150
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97408
What I Drive: 08 Silverfrost Metallic SE, 5 speed

FF Reputation: 2 Gettysburg150 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by staticsword View Post
I am assuming the timing is good, I had a shop install them, so hopefully they got it all right. The car is an auto, so there is not really a chance to over rev. My car is def running a bit rich I think, you can smell the exhaust/gas. Also how would I know if there is pre-detonation? Not sure what that means, im not that great when it comes to the technical stuff with cars haha still learning
Being that you have had the cams in for a while and it hasn't come apart I'd also assume that the timing is ok. Rich is def much better than lean. Lean will melt pistons, rich makes less power and uses more fuel but is safer. Pre-detonation is when the mixture starts burning before the piston reaches top dead center on the compression stroke and will break things, I think ignition timing being advanced too far causes this. I think it will usually cause a knock under load. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong please.) Overall I think the car would be ok to drive from what you describe its just not going to be the most efficient or make the best power.

Take what I say with a grain of salt, I'm just going off of what little car stuff I know and by no means am I a performance builder or tuner.

Sedan Revolution Two Three Zero
FRPP, "Stealth" CAI, Debadged, wider tires, louder stereo, turbo mainfold in the wrong place...