Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Common Ford Focus Transmission Problem, How to fix
View Single Post
Old 10-29-2012, 02:14 PM   #84
amc49
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 96610
What I Drive: 00 wagon, 02 sedan both zetec atx

FF Reputation: 23 amc49 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Problem is, if squirting out outside it will be squirting out inside, you don't want that. Oil makes the little silicone beads come loose to go in trans or motor. I couldn't tell you how many engines I've seen blown up because someone took what the dealer said and ran with it. It fills pickup tube and cuts off oil supply. Seems to me he's trying to steer you in there by damage, dealers give absolutely incorrect information all the time trying to drum up more work for themselves.

If you've already done it and no leaks you're good, it should be a nominal amount, more like 1/8" (.125"), 1mm. is only .040", virtually impossible to put that small an amount.

I cover entire gasket surface and then take a finger and run along it to squeegee off the excess. I also run that same finger around INSIDE edge to thin or none right where it would squeeze out (in, really). I don't car how much squeezes outside, not a problem there.

They make gaskets now to make that question moot and so much easier too. I'd put a gasket on any day before simply gluing, hard to get surface dry enough with all the drippage in there. One of my Focus cars is glued and the other has gasket.

Last edited by amc49; 10-31-2012 at 08:06 AM.