Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91013
What I Drive: 2012,Tux Black,SE manual

FF Reputation: 1 naimesh Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Nope,

An E100 Corolla in a GM suit, a.k.a. a 93-97 Geo Prizm Lsi 1.6L 5 speed.

Put the car in gear, and even at the standard idle of 750 rpm if you feathered the clutch just right you can hold it on the bite point just long enough for the car to start moving without giving it any throttle on a level ground, then once it dipped the revs a little bit and caught itself it would then be fine. Now you wouldn't want to slip the clutch all the time like that, but it is possible to launch/ start from zero mph in a manual without applying the throttle with the engine at an idle, sure its easier when the idle speed is raised slightly due to trying to light off a catalyst, but that's not strictly necessary.

Now is it necessarily the best for the longevity of the clutch and engine to allow it to lug and then go, perhaps not, but it is most definately possible even when the car makes less torque than the lug nuts require to stay on.
Yep I do that everyday when queuing in bee line at gate here in El Paso. After I release clutch in 1st gear, I don't even have to touch the throttle. No foot on either C or A. Car moves forward just fine.