Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 00 Focus SPI Question
View Single Post
Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 PM   #9
sailor
Crankshaft

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

Points 11,832, Level 71
Points: 11,832, Level: 71 Points: 11,832, Level: 71 Points: 11,832, Level: 71
Level Up 46% Completed
Level up: 46% Level up: 46% Level up: 46%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 79 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Hey there, sorry this discussion went down hill so fast, two people having a bad day can result in curt answers & no progress....

You're right that white smoke is usually coolant related, we aren't there to actually see/smell it & checking that closely is important since SOME have confused oil & coolant smoke in the past. "Sweet" odor instead of burnt oil being the giveaway....

B4 going further, I'd pull the plugs and see if there is evidence of coolant getting into one or more cylinders. (nice shiny steam cleaned can generally be seen if that happens)

The "new" head could be at fault, there could be a leak at the gasket, your guess of coolant still being in the exhaust is STILL a possibility besides the normal condensation since two miles isn't enough to clean things out...

One typical issue that LOOKS like overheating is when only the high speed fan functions. In that case the temp gauge gets near the red B4 it even kicks on to help cooling. (Lots of threads on THAT issue)

'Fraid that at this point you're starting from scratch again to diagnose whatever faults existed B4 you bought it.

Did you by chance have a straight edge available to check the head & block for flatness?

And by the way, if it turns out the new head has issues, you aren't the first that happened to. I can remember changing a head in a LeCar (a PITA BTW) and the used head I was given to install was worse than the one I removed originally!

Good thing I wasn't working Flat Rate at the time....

Luck!