Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 2004 LX 2.0 SPI tries to start but won"t
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 11:38 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 33,731, Level 100
Points: 33,731, Level: 100 Points: 33,731, Level: 100 Points: 33,731, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
How many miles are on it? Try replacing the coil, mine had the exact issue. I eventually was able to get it started after several attempts. After it started the check engine light came on so i ran it over to O'reillys and they told me it was a P0320 code.

Possible fixes:
- Change Crank position sensor
- replace fuel pump
- replace ignition coil
- check to see if anti-theft system is operational
- Replace engine wire harness

I would remove the coil and look for any cracks, water can get it and cause it to fail.

FYI, I would do a head rebuild ASAP.

I replaced the coil and everything was fine. For another month or so, then one day my wife was going to get gas. As she pulled up to the pump the car died, and refused to start. Had the car towed to the local garage (I was at work). He got the car started after several attempts and soon to be followed by a dropped valve seat which cause catastrophic engine failure. These engines unless they have the head rebuilt or replaced with a new or refurbished head with correct seats, will implode. I had 160,000 miles and that's damn good for a SPI, most go around 110,000.

If you don't believe me type "dropped valve seat" into the search function at the top of the forums.

Believe me I thought more than regular maintenance, and babying the car I would be fine, but I was wrong. I'm currently under going a engine swap to a zetec.