Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2012, 08:07 AM   #1713
Cornhusker
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 105350
What I Drive: 2012 Grey Focus SE

FF Reputation: 1 Cornhusker Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission is only getting worse

I bought my 2012 Focus SE August '11 and noticed the same transmission issues early on. They were subtle at first, so I wasn't overly concerned. However, at about 5,000 miles it started getting much worse. Fast forward to 23,000 miles. Transmission has not "adapted" to my driving style like my case manager at Ford customer service advised. Significant shuddering and stuttering of transmission from a stopped position, and quick speed changes required for changing lanes for turning in traffic will often produce similar hiccups with the shifting. When I submitted a formal complaint with Ford I was assigned a case manager who instructed me to arrange for my dealership to take another look (this would be the third official time they'd looked at the transmission). Dealership had it for four days and made various updates available to them from Ford, they said the problem seemed to be somewhat resolved, I got the car back and it drove exactly the same. When I reported the information to the case manager and reiterated the issues with my Focus she read me the company line about the transmission issues and that it should adapt to my driving style. She referenced the "green shift" option, which is what gives the Focus its good gas mileage but not so good shifting. I told her that if the vehicle were going to adapt to my driving style that would've happened by 23,000 but it hasn't. I don't know about other Focus owners, but I would gladly sacrifice a few MPGs if it meant smoother driving. Very frustrated at this point because I did a lot of research when I was originally shopping for a new car and the Focus looked like a solid choice. Why Ford won't just eradicate the issue altogether is beyond me.