Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - SYNC Update Available on Focus!!!
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 10:44 PM   #648
heliosj228
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 97016
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 heliosj228 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by forceflow2 View Post
I don't think you understand what that actually means. I can pretty much guarantee you that Ford is using listRoots() to get the drives, which for *NIX systems will return "/" only. It's not going to know about your mounted volumes. If they say they support Macs (no clue whether it says so or not) then it's probably because they can just enumerate /Volumes. Java is architecture neutral, but it isn't development neutral. What do you want them to do, check the os.name and start calling system binaries if it's *nux/*nix to check that info? There's no way in hell I would let an applet do that, especially knowing Ford's programming track record. Not to mention complaining about them not going out of their way to accommodate an OS with negligible desktop penetration is ridiculous. If you've been using *NIX systems for any length of time you should understand and be used to this.
Well thank you for the wonderfully condescending reply. I know exactly what I meant and I stand by it. How hard would it be to insert a call that determines which OS is being run and simply ask for a USB path? -- or [insert 3 other good ideas]. I'm sure they didn't choose Java on a whim, they were considering future scenarios that would also likely not support the method you described. But whatever... I'll take it to the dealership, it's their dime.