Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Synthetic oils
Thread: Synthetic oils
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 11:14 PM   #16
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,116, Level 72
Points: 12,116, Level: 72 Points: 12,116, Level: 72 Points: 12,116, Level: 72
Level Up 17% Completed
Level up: 17% Level up: 17% Level up: 17%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbdallas View Post
At around $25 for a 5-quart jug of Mobil1, it does seem a little backward to spend $25 on an oil analysis so you can determine whether or not you can save $25 by not buying oil.

And Qweesy, please come out of the 70's and join us here in 2012. Pennzoil conventional is of a completely different forumation than it was when it was causing sludge in your Pontiac Catalina, and Pennzoil synthetics are not even remotely related to their conventional oil in regard to forumation.

Mobil1 ceased to be 'the best' when they downgraded from group IV base stocks to group III. At best, they're now known for being marketing champs for selling highly-refined group III oils as 'true synthetics'.
>>>>So it sounds like Mobil 1 isn't that good, huh?<<<<
Quote:
Originally Posted by TboneZX3 View Post
If your intention is to run longer OCI's, you can spend $35 and get a TBN report, and estimate how long you can safely run that oil in your engine before the additives are depleted. If you can do this and extend your OCI by a few thousand miles, it won't take long before you've saved enough money on oil changes to make up the price of the analysis and more. So, there is at least a potential savings.

This is only one benefit among many of UOAs. We're all free to spend our hard-earned dollars as we please, but I feel it's worth our time to learn about the potential benefits of oil analysis before dismissing it as a waste.'

I've done the same--I just hope Shell isn't lying about the NOACK spec. I will say that consumption has been very low for the past 5K miles I've been running PU.
What is a NOACK spec? So Pennzoil Ultra is the best, say compared to Mobil 1?
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131