First off, let me apologize if this is a bit of a rant. It is, but stems from months of frustration.
I picked up a 2012 Tuxedo Black SE hatchback with the sport pack in may to replace my fun yet gas guzzling 2004 Mazda RX-8. $600 a month in gas for that thing was killing me, no matter how awesome it was. Pretty much the first thing we did with the new Focus was take it on a round trip drive from Wisconsin to Texas, a stone's throw from Mexico. It handled it with aplumb, averaging around 38mpg on the trip computer with 4 people and a hatch packed with luggage. A wonderful first impression.
Now, however, it seems like the thing is already falling apart at the seams. I have about 15,000 miles on the car, which is a lot to put on in 6 months, but still well within warranty. I've had numerous issues:
- The "Focus" badge on the back was only stuck on by the very tips of the F and the S, and was ripped off in a car wash. Not a big deal, I just got out some Goo-Gone and de-badged the thing.
- Molding on the bottom of the rear passenger window was loose at the back, also in danger of getting ripped off in a car wash
- The shiny trim pieces on the doors on either side of the windows (B and C pillars) creak when grasped for closing the door
- The gauge surround buzzes
- There was a rattle coming from the area of the passenger side airbag
- There is a rattle coming from behind the head unit
- There is a suspension creak/thunk coming from the front passenger side when going over bumps, but usually only when a passenger is present
- The plastic cover for the driver side seat belt height adjuster rattles right in my ear
Many of these issues have been fixed by my local dealership, but I still have the suspension issue, the rattle behind the head unit, and the height adjuster rattle hasn't been fixed even after 3 attempts. When they fixed the gauge surround issue, they added more foam, but not very well as it sticks out into the gauges themselves.
Overall, I want to keep liking the car. It's comfortable, handles well, gets great mileage, has the spiffy SYNC system, and looks sweet too. Still, this growing pile of issues, though many of them are minor, have severely dampened my enthusiasm. The rattles drive me completely mad, especially the one right in my ear. Plus, to have this many issues this early in the life of the car does not instill any confidence at all that it's going to hold up for even another couple years.
So far, I've had to bring the car to the dealer six times in the past eight weeks. Either they can't fix the issue (height adjuster, 3 tries so far), they do a poor job of it (visible foam from the gauge surround fix) or another problem crops up shortly after the visit (head unit rattle). I've even tried switching to a different dealer.
I've already written to Ford Customer Relations, but have yet to hear anything back. However, it is getting close to the point where I'd want to sell the car back to the dealership (I purchased, not leased). We were considering replacing my wife's aging Mazda 3 with a Mustang convertible, but now there is currently no way I'd get one.
I know that a few rattles here and there may not be a big deal to some of you, but in this day and age, with this much competition in this segment, this number of issues with so little mileage should be unacceptable.
Thanks for reading, and sorry my first post is a negative rant. Any suggestions, similar experiences, or lights at the end of the tunnel would be great.