Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - anyone NOT like the stock tires?
View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #108
Fresh1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102640
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Fresh1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xwhit3devilx View Post
I HATED the Conti's that came with my Focus. (16inch LRR). They had no grip, were very bumpy, were quite loud, and hydroplaned like you wouldn't believe. At 2500 miles I swapped them out for a set of Michelin Primacy MXv4's and have never been happier.
After changing to a new set of tires two weeks ago, I have to agree that the ContiProContact are lousy tires - at least in the 16" size that came with the car. I got winter tires put on, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R, which feel like all-season tires on dry roads. They are overall more quiet than the Conti tires, have lower rolling resistance, handle about the same - BUT ARE SO MUCH BETTER in terms of ride comfort! No more harsh jolts on rippled surfaces, no more booming over bumps on the highway, and no more roaring over worn stretches of pavement, and no more thrashing over big bumps. If the Conti tires cornered well and yielded good road feel through the steering, I could live with some harshness, but I found them to be the WORST of both worlds!

I had the suspension checked by the Ford dealer recently because I thought there was a noise coming from the front end, but the tech couldn't find any problems, even after inspecting the car and more than one road test. (I'm mentioning this because I had wondered if there was a problem with the struts in my previous post.)

I started to dislike driving my car because of the OE tires. Now with those tires gone, all that has changed!

I can't wait for snow to fall so I can try out the "legendary Hakkas" in their natural environment! ; )

And in case I've left any doubt ... the ContiProContact tire-shaped basketballs are NOT coming back on in the spring!