Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Inspection not passing cuz monitors not ready?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM   #7
6SPD_soul
Focus Addict

Fan#: 53637
What I Drive: 2003 Comp Orange EAP SVT

Points 2,489, Level 30
Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30 Points: 2,489, Level: 30
Level Up 26% Completed
Level up: 26% Level up: 26% Level up: 26%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 24 6SPD_soul Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
As far as I remember they're all emissions related, if you have no driveability concerns then there is no indication that anything is actually malfunctioning, except for the fact that the PCM has for whatever reason decided not to (or been unable to) run these monitors for what sounds like a really long time. How long/how many miles had you been driving it prior to getting it tested at the first mechanic? Just to throw out a number, with 500 miles of regular driving they should definitely all run. And that's a high estimate, as I said there are manufacturer specific guidelines for getting a car to run all the monitors and it can be done in half an hour if you stick to the script and know how to drive the car to meet all the test criteria and get the PCM to run the monitors.

You haven't explicitly said this yet, but you don't and haven't had a check engine light on correct? And you said you've only had the car since last August, where'd it come from? It's conceivable that some previous owner was getting a CEL for something they didn't want to fix and just found a way to turn the monitor off so the CEL would go away and they could sell the car without having to explain the CEL.

One thing that didn't occur to me until I googled, parts of the PCM require power at all times to keep track of exactly this kind of information. If this "keep alive memory" is losing its power when the car is turned off, it would have the same effect as disconnecting the battery and all the monitors reset to not run/not ready status.

Here's a relatively informative page I just found about emissions monitoring stuff:http://www.aa1car.com/library/obd_monitor_not_ready.htm