Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Yellow 2005 ZX3 Hatchback (how to make it look cooler and cover up some scratches)?
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 01:23 PM   #9
Squishy Crayons
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102772
What I Drive: 2005 Yellow ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Squishy Crayons Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetecDon View Post
Why cover up something that you are going to have to eventually fix anyways? And adding vinyl does not make it more "sporty" at all. For about another $100 more you can have those scratches resprayed and your problem is resolved a lot better than wasting money on vinyl to cover it.
I don't know if I'll fix the scratches though, the car's already got about 150k miles so I don't think I'll be reselling it. I'll probably give to my little brother.

As far as making it "sportier", I was thinking of doing that as soon as I got it. It's a nice color, but I was just wondering if some inexpensive black stripes or something would make it look a little better. Not really looking for something showy or gaudy. Now that I scratched it I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. The only thing is I don't know what kind of design/paint choices will make it "sportier."

Quote:
Originally Posted by iminhell View Post
*wish we could

Looks to me like there was a graphic on the car previously. I can see the outline of large letters, possibly a company car of some sort.

I would say that with a good quality detail much of the scratches can be hidden, or at least dull them so they aren't as visible.
The deep scratches you can't do much for though. You can try some touch-up paint and then wet sand to blend it in / smooth it out. But chances are the touch-up will stick out more than the scratches.

There are quite a few How-To videos on the internet of how to detail a car. Watch a few of them and see if it's something you think you would want to do yourself.
If not, maybe think about hiring someone local to do the work for you. If you find someone who's not a pro but does good work, I'd imagine they'd be willing to do the car for $100 or less.
If you do decide to take it on yourself just make sure you're using quality tools and products. You do not want to damage the paint any further. Finesse and patience are key here.
Thanks for the tips. The outline you see is the price of the car, $3995 from a user car lot. Eventually talked him down to $3200 . I think that will easily come off with a good buff