Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - at a loss. help.
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
DueceCoupe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 32955
What I Drive: 07 Infra Red ST,2002 ZX3.

Points 7,286, Level 56
Points: 7,286, Level: 56 Points: 7,286, Level: 56 Points: 7,286, Level: 56
Level Up 68% Completed
Level up: 68% Level up: 68% Level up: 68%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 5 DueceCoupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (29)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zachinnis View Post
So over the weekend I was working on my girlfriends car changing the valve cover gasket, all went well. She drove it for a bout an hour then the dash dimmed out and the radio turned off and sure enough the car died and wont start without a jump. What's confusing me is that after I jump it and it warms up it does the same thing. It's been sputtering lately off and on and a few days ago threw a cyl 4 misfire code. I checked for oil on the plugs since i had that issue before and sure enough there was, so i changed the valve gasket, didn't touch anything else on the car. It's an 01 se. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Oil on all plugs or just the number 4?
I went through this as well.
Changing the valve cover gasket can be tricky.
Make sure its sealed 100 percent with no cracks or gaps.
Had to replace mine a 2nd time because of a hairline crack in the new gasket.
Also,on mine I swapped to a metal valve cover and some of the bolt o ring gaskets had not sealed correctly,resulting in the same conditions as yours.
If you have a lot of oil in the plug wells,I had to use a Turkey baster with squeeze bulb to pull the excess oil out.
Cleaned the plugs,a new valve cover gasket and been good ever since.
Hope this helps.
Welcome to the group,both of you and please post your results/findings to help others.

ST Crew Member # 666