Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - 05 Focus fuel pump going out?
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
The fuel tank must be removed in order to replace the fuel pump.

I'm not convinced it's the fuel pump just yet. Fuel filters have a 20-30k mile life. If yours has never been changed, then the fuel pump has to work harder to get the fuel up to pressure along the whole line.

One sign of a fuel pump going bad is that it takes more than 5 seconds for the pump to prime the system as Iminhell described. If yours is only on for 2-3 secs, then that's normal. Shorter is better, of course, but most likely your problem is elsewhere.

Starting is probably the hardest thing your engine does- especially cold start after sitting for a few days or overnight. The mix must be rich to start and run until the engine warms up- which takes about 1-2 mins in modern cars. That's why the 05 models had problems starting- the mix was too lean for fuel conservation. If you have a vacuum leak- like the PCV line under the intake manifold, a loose intake manifold, or a bad brake booster- then starting will be even more difficult.

Until you find the problem, you can try to see if this will help make it easier. When you go to start the engine cold, turn the key and let it turn over just a few cranks- like 3, about 1 second of cranking. Turn the key back off, and start again normally. This should richen the mix enough and it will start within 1 second. I wouldn't turn the key off a second time for a 3rd crank if it doesn't fire up. That might cause flooding, and then you'll need to know how to remedy that situation- which sounds a lot like a dead battery.

Just in case- to remedy flooding: key off, press accelerator to the floor and hold, turn key to start and crank until the hear the engine sputter. Stop cranking, release accelerator, and start engine. The engine will not start in "emergency start mode" when you're holding the accelerator to the floor, that gives it the signal not to shoot fuel. Go out and try it if you want to without trying to crank it normally first- it will just crank and crank and never fire. That works on all EFI vehicles I know of.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.