Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Dog Bone reinstall question
View Single Post
Old 10-20-2012, 08:17 AM   #5
Lscman
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95211
What I Drive: 2007 ZX3

Points 1,128, Level 18
Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18 Points: 1,128, Level: 18
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 9 Lscman Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardgeneration View Post
Update on post-install of massive Polly dog bone bushings.
First off the shifting now feels so much better! I love it.
Second, I no longer hear a bad vibration/ slipping/ grinding noise through first and second gear which I though was the axle and bearing. I even bought them ready to replace. Now I'm wondering if its even needed.
And lastly, the only negative about my new dog bone bushings is the vibration in reverse and in first at low rpm's. a lot more vibration than I would like but the payoff in the other ways is worth it.
Good to hear you got it reassembled. However you're comparing a new bushing to a failed bushing of a different type. This is like comparing a defective Ferrari motor that won't crank over to a new Fiesta motor. Nobody can conclude that poly bushings are better or worse than OEM based upon this repair. You might as well compare a corded, old $200 premium tire to a to a new $49 generic then tell us cheap tires grip better in rain. Poly bushings add vibration harshness and noise compared to fresh OEM type, so they offer no advantage for typical street use. They are only beneficial for racing apps where OEM bushings don't last over 50K mi or hardware movement needs managed due to elevated torque levels or higher G forces induced from race tires. Most serious factory sports cars like Viper and Corvette do not use poly for motor mounts or suspension pivot points because it adds noise and offers no significant performance advantages. If I had a 300HP gutted Focus autocross car sitting on a trailer, I'd think about it.