Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx3matt View Post
Okay, here is my opinion on the whole oil change issue:

Despite what the manufactures tell you, and the internet, and magazines, etc. Get a good quality oil and change it often. Clean oil protects your engine. PERIOD.
True.

So why were the figures changed?

"Peak oil" or is that a myth? (One could also say an engine worn out sooner by dirty oil would help the auto industry up due to more people purchasing new/replacement cars...)

Quote:
If you are using a conventional oil or semi-synthetic why not use the age old 3000mi interval? The stuff is cheap! I hear all of this debate on the internet, in articles, etc. about using your oil longer, but we spend more on a tank of gas each week than on an oil change! Think about it. Why are people so desperate to extend their intervals when we go though gas like crazy (but that is okay [well, except for the price gouging])?
Anything to reduce usage is not a bad thing. Which is another reason to give ethanol the boot...

Quote:
A freaking cartridge of printer ink costs more than an oil change!!!!
The home printer manufacturers sell the main units at a loss. The profit is made up for in the ink cartridges, whose microchips prevent third party brands from being used...

Quote:
I use synthetic oil in everything. If the car has a decent oil capacity (like the Focus) for its engine size, use, and output then I change it every 5000mi and use a good quality filter (Motorcraft or Mobil-1). If the capacity is low (like my wife's Protege 5 at 3.7 quarts) I change it just like conventional oil (3000mi).

If it is a high performance vehicle that is driven often (like my old Lightning and MS3), I change the synthetic at 3000mi.

It is cheap insurance. We are not killing ourselves financially by doing so. Your car will last longer as well.

Even the "saving the environment" argument is silly...oil can be recycled!
A longer lasting car doesn't hurt either, thinking of all the junkyards where old cars go away to rust to dust...

I'd no idea oil can be recycled, but if it can be cleaned and re-used... or made into plastic...