Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST
View Single Post
Old 10-19-2012, 07:58 AM   #19
rgonyer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5268
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 rgonyer Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I enjoy my st w/ all the mods. I also like the SVT's also. I think its cool to look at the new cars too.
As a previous owner of (2) 2003 ZX3 SVT's, and just having driven home my new 2013 ST3 - I can't argue with this guys opinion.

The new ST is just a different car all together. With my SVT's, I was 100% connected to the road. They were the perfect size. I could easily induce understeer or oversteer intentionally and KNOW I could put it back on the line I want at any time. They just did what you told them to do, and did them comfortably.

My new ST - well I've only driven it about 100 miles now, but it's exactly as I expected. It's just a DIFFERENT car. It's bigger. Visibility is worse (main reason I would prefer a 3 door hatch, when you look immediately to your left all you see is the door pillars. On a 3 door, all you see is outside). It's vastly more refined, comfy, quiet. It's fast. Faster than I expected and I have owned a couple of 2006 Evo IX's in the past. The torque comes on so fast you barely know it's turbo. I love it, but it's different. Would I push it into oversteer around a corner with a drop off? Nope. Not yet anyway.

The SVT is 10 years old now. I have too busy of a life now to be worrying about repairing them. If I could buy a brand new 2003 SVT with warranty in 2013 for $10k less than what I paid for my ST, I probably would have done it. But you can't.

For what's out there today, I think the ST is an incredible machine, but if you are thinking it's an updated 2003 SVT or 2005 ST, that's just not the case.

It really is a "Ford GTI" if you will. I owned a 2008 R32 (actually my wife did). When she got a different car, the idea was that I would drive that one. I did for a couple of months, then I got rid of it because I couldn't stand driving an automatic. This ST reminds me VERY much of that car.