iaqui
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97927
What I Drive: 2000, Red, Focus ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 iaqui Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsmasher View Post
sorry guy it won't add anything as far as horse power, zero, zilch, nada...the name muffler means to do exactly that muffle the noise coming out of the exhaust. thats like that quote i say a while ago (so if i put a spinner on my butthole and rip one, will i run faster) the answer is no...
Okay I was really hoping that I wasn't going to have to explain how a muffler works. A muffler, muffles the sound of the engine exhaust by channeling it through multiple chambers within the muffler. The exhaust is leaving the engine two forms of energy heat and sound. The chambers in the muffler are especially designed to make the sound energy bounce off the walls of the chambers and right back into its self therefore dispersing that form of energy subtlety without annoying old people. However in this process, it creates back force, that is the energy that is being forced back into the exhaust piping because then the sound waves hit each other they travel in all directions and back into the piping counts as a direction. By doing this, the engine can't "exhale" as well because there is added pressure in the system. With an aftermarket performance muffler there are fewer chambers inside, hence not bouncing the sound off its self as many times as an OE muffler would, meaning that there is more sound energy escaping, that's why it's louder. In doing so, it causes less back force letting the engine expel the energy it cannot use, or the energy clogging up the system if you will. I simple example is you are running a marathon and you are able to inhale all the air you need, but, there is something that is keeping some of the Co2 that your body swapped for the oxygen trapped in your body, wasting space you could be using for oxygen, you aren't going to finish that marathon if that is the case. So by eliminating back force the exhaust valves on you cylinder head can get rid of more used energy from the previous explosion in the cylinder creating a better environment for the next explosion to produce more power. By doing this you will gain horse power and torque, however, a gain of 5 horse power and maybe 7 pounds of twist, in other words a gain you aren't going to notice. Now, one thing you can do which my friend and I did after school today is get a muffler tip with this honey comb looking thing inside, I got one and it cost me a whole $28, so it's in your price range. I'll post a link of a video of mine on my Focus and his on his Civic. I don't know if it'll work because its on my Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/#!/media/set...8401054&type=2

That concludes today's lesson