View Single Post
Old 10-17-2012, 12:21 PM   #508
phrozen087
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103683
What I Drive: 2012 Black Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 phrozen087 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thought I would post my experience on here as well now that I am finally out of the woods. This may give some people a shred of hope if you are having problems.

Bought my Focus 2012 TI Sedan with 6 miles on it and it drove smooth until about 200-300 miles.

At about 300 miles or so the shuddering in the transmission started. I google'd it and ultimately ended up in these forums where I registered to read more about it. I even took it to Ford because I was having MASSIVE regrets about buying this car. I figured I had purchased an expensive new lemon and wished I could just return it. My dealer told me to try and stick it out until 2,400 miles and they were sure it would go away and smooth out. I'll also point out that during this time I was averaging about 26mpg on a good week, which made me even more mad.

So I stuck it out, and around 1600-1800 miles the grinding started. I was convinced the transmission was going to drop out of the car and that it was breaking, but figured I'd just hold on and wait until I hit the 2,400 mile mark and then I would go rant at the dealer for them lying to me. For the record the grinding was extremely loud and the whole car violently shook.

About 2,100-2,200 miles or so I walked out to my car in the morning, turned it on and left for work. Not a single shutter at all. At first I was like WTF? Since then I haven't had a single shutter or grinding noise in the car and the transmission is smooth as butter and shifts faster than before. I am also averaging about 31 mpg in the city now with the car, and can get close to the 38 on the highway. I really have no good explanation for it, and am at about 3100 miles on mine now.

For about the last 1000 miles I haven't had a single shudder, jerk, or grind. I'm crossing my fingers that the dealer was right, but if you are having really bad problems with your Focus and have really low mileage there may be some light at the end of the tunnel. I actually have started to really love my focus now, and aside from the occasional MFT problem (I am still running the older update, since I here the new one has more issues) and using the delayedReboot.cab every other week just kinda as maintenance (I stick it in when I am filling up the gas!) the car is running amazingly well! I'm not sure why the car couldn't come off the lot like this! Obviously not everyone has my experience (the good or the bad) but if you have problems they may just eventually go away.