Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - So Ford made a mistake that I'm okay with
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 08:31 AM   #53
Dick W
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91695
What I Drive: 2012 5dr SGM Ti/09 135i/07 CR-V

FF Reputation: 2 Dick W Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by metric View Post
... LH BEV.
What's "BEV"?

I'm wondering if this is related to the long history of problem reports here related specifically to the RH tail lamp assy in the 5dr? There have been threads here both on loose fit and paint damage caused by. Maybe they are off re-tooling the mold or something?

Seems odd they'd even have the EU part in the US factory to install in a US car "by accident" unless they were already exporting MAP-built vehicles to the EU. Plus they do have responsibility to track what version of part they put in what vehicle for compliance reasons. (How they know they need to recall some exact number of cars built in some exact time window if there's a safety-related problem.) And there are regulations that drive different designs of exteror lighting for safety purposes (not to mention all of the cosmetic issues noted above). So somewhere along the way they had to make a decision that the EU part was US FMVSS compliant before installing it. With two reports here, it seems they must at some level know what they are doing.

Although it does seem kinda like shipping a car with one door the wrong color. Does show how powerful the incentive to keep the lines rolling must be. Remember the floor mats problem after the flooding in the southeast from hurricane whatever it was?