Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyway to Activate Additional Indicators
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2012, 01:06 AM   #94
1990 GT-X
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 80602
What I Drive: 2009 Ford Focus SES

FF Reputation: 1 1990 GT-X Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ok, as i told you guys before i would study the electrical manuals for our cars to find out if we can activate the outside temp and compass feature as this thread is all about. I have the definite answer for this whole issue. I have completed my studies on this issue and believe me it took many days and hours of reading and studding to figure this out. Well i have bad news and good news regarding getting these things to work. the bad news is there is no way that you can get the outside temp and compass to work on any 2008 or early 2009. Now the good news. You can make it work in your 2008 or ealry 2009 cars by simply swapping the dash wiring harness, under hood wiring harness and inside harness that runs everything in the inside and trunk. Now if you find a donor car that is a late 2009 after July of 09 and a 2010 car then you can swap all the wiring from one car to your car. It is quite easy to do but just time consuming. I have already taken a dash completely out and it was not hard to do. Now if you get the wiring harnesses out of a donor car you will need to get the instrument cluster, HVAC unit AKA Heater control unit and the whole fuse box/logic unit that all the harness plug into. It is located on the left side under the dash. Can't miss it. Now if you have ABS/traction control you need to get the harness out of a car that has the same. Very important. See, the instrument cluster has the computer in it that runs the compass that from there connects to the inside mirror, and the outside temp is activated by the HVAC unit and then is processed through the computer logic unit to then put the display on the center display unit. If you guys need any other help on adding anything to your car don't hesitate to PM me with any questions. Believe me, i know these cars inside and out now after all my days of studies.