Focus YBTC
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97107
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Tri-Coat Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Focus YBTC Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Umm....okay? You make the mistake that just cause you don't see a need that there isn't a need at all. Flawed logic.

And you know WHY the R8 had those lights, right? Because the LMP1 racecar debuted with them as accenting and it became a Audi signature styling piece. Over the years and starting with the A4 they really fleshed out the design, now they are just solid bars instead of individual ones which helps the look.

BMW? What? BMW has had CCFL based angle eyes for a decade or so now, that is also their own signature look. Only in recent years did they upgrade them to LED based lighting.

Nowadays BMW, Mercedes and Audi offer full LED headlights. Headlights that offer better illumination and better visibility especially at night. Like that is a bad thing? Same with the taillights. They are instant, they are bright, they get the message across to traffic of your intentions. The only downside is that these lights do not generate heat which means they don't clear off frost as fast.

This is what they look like these days, properly awesome indeed. If you had bothered being in a car equipped with them.

As far as chintzy goes? Audi and BMW are the only ones with their own signature looks, everyone else happily stole from them. And unless you hate forward progress in automotive technology...
If these lights were actually forward progress of a technical nature in automotive technology such as the main lighting bulb in the fixture being a high light output, inexpensive, long lasting, energy efficient LED I would care. As is, they are a "styling exercise" and not a particularly pleasing one esthetically to my discerning eye. In my opinion they look as cheesy as a lime green racing stripe or fake hood scoop does. You may like that sort of thing and you're completely free to like it. Likewise, I'm completely free not to not care for the looks of it.