unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatto View Post
It would seem to me illogical that corporation with many years manufacturing cars would not call into question extensive warranty repairs on a new, low milage car. I can not believe they would tolerate the indiscriminate replacing of components designed to last at least 100,000 miles without an investigation as to why.
Greed?

GM's lengthy record (low quality parts, etc) ended up haunting them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsFocus View Post
As with a lot of things today, things are getting too complicated. In my case, I had two service managers tell me my car had a transmission problem. But, because the problem was not visible (broken part,etc) and there was no error code, they could not do any work on my trans without the ok of engineers. In many cases the dealer's hands are tied. When there is a problem and there is no error code, we hear the excuses, not only from the dealers, but also the engineers. I talked to an engineer who would not ok work to be done and I asked him why he didn't believe what my dealer was telling me. The excuses started...roll up your windows and turn the radio up, it's normal, there's no code so it can't be broke, and on and on.
That's also true. Automobiles in general are far more complex, even for basic engine functions (before all the goodness of SYNC, etc, come into play.)

And it's sad. No error code doesn't mean there's no problem, or a problem starting to form. Only those who blindly read off of cue cards say that. GOOD engineers and their ilk know how systems are supposed to work and what can lead to problems over time. Then again, are good mechanics more costly to a company than those who blindly read off of cue cards? Nobody seemed to mind when Call Center support was offshored...