Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Transmission/Clutch Slipping (OBD2 Plots)
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 03:21 PM   #23
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I agree. I think the software has a pre-determined criteria for slippage (Who knows what it is? rotational speed, torque, etc.)

Say for this example it is RPM and the range is 700-1300 RPM. If the car starts slipping at 1400 RPM because of seals leaking oil onto the plates, the car doesn't really know what to do since the RPM criteria is already saturated. Chances are the engineers didn't expect to see slippage at this speed (remember, this is just my made up example).

But if that's really the case, you'd think a drivetrain malfunction message would come up or something!
Yes, exactly, if there is slippage when not expected or if the slippage is greater (or less) than some range it should indicate an error. It may be that Ford is trying to dodge fixing the problems and have chosen to prevent such messages as that would drive service calls. I'm not saying this is for sure the case, but it would not surprise me...

Brian