View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #1636
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 9 valmundo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I think Ford needs to do a better job of training the car dealer's mechanics in detecting potential problems in their cars since these cars are evolving into computers on wheels.

When I first purchased my Focus, I noticed the shuddering of the transmission (very slightly), but only when I began visiting this site. Even then, it was very infrequent. I am not sure I would have noticed it but for the fact that many folks here were having problems with their cars. I took it to my dealer (Sawgrass Ford in Florida) to have them check it out just to be safe, however. After waiting for three hours, the mechanic came to me and said my clutch was bad and had to be replaced. Immediately, I started to think the guy didn't know what the hell he was talking about. Mind you, I had the car for less than two months and had less than 4K and he was telling me the clutch was shot! (Sorry, but I didn't buy it) Soon afterwards, the DCT TSB update was released so I took it to another dealer (Pines Ford in Florida) and explained everything to them. The guys there had their act together. In fact, the rep I was dealing with there laughed when I told them Sawgrass wanted to replace my clutch. The rep said he believed the DCT probably needed to be updated and not have the clutch replaced. I had them do the update. Its been over a year since I've had my car and rarely do I notice any problems with it. The clutch was never replaced and it runs like a champ. While I am convinced some here have had legitimate problems with their cars, the fact that the some dealers have mechanics who are not adequately trained to diagnose and repair these cars only makes the matter worse.

Things get a lot better if you find a dealership with folks who know what they are doing. That's why I go to Pines Ford instead of Sawgrass Ford, even though I live closer to Sawgrass and I bought my car there. Sawgrass lost my business.