Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 11:16 AM   #1635
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
[QUOTE=pozi240;4405974]Sorry, I disagree with that being a "different category" as you point out. I (we, as in the majority of the people posting in this thread) did in fact have "shifting issues", which originally were told by the dealer were merely "programming" and quotes like "you're not driving it properly, or, you need to give the TCU time to learn your driving style".... and in a lot the cases (mine own included), it turned out to be a physical issue, in that the seals were bad and contaminated the clutches. Yes, that is a "defect", BUT, driving it did not display a "defect", but, rather poor (and noisey) shifting performance. Of course "defects" can't be corrected by software, but, saying that a lot of the issues are technicians not properly programming the DCT or poor initial communication from dealer to consumer is pre mature, given the amount of "bad" clutches we are now starting to see (and I believe we will see LOTS more as dealerships eventually open up the transmissions and investigate this more).
Those that have had the new clutches and seals installed are once again, very happy with the performance (much like we all were when test driving the new car).[/QUOTE

The entire issue goes back to an inability to trouble shoot. Two of my relatives are retired mechanics. I was Ford trained tune-up technician. I am also an elite problem-solver. This is what I have make my living at.

DCT issues are complicated by the software component which can cause symptoms identical to mechanical problems, ergo - failed seals etc. Dealer mechanics have been weaned on flat rate work which means that if they get 0.2 hours to fix an issue and they take 1.2 hours they are, in effect, working 1 hour without pay. Because of this most mechanics have gotten really good at swapping in new parts as opposed to trouble shooting. Good mechanics can usually come in under the flat rate time. When they do, they make good money and dealers make a mark-up on the parts. Everyone was happy. Meantime, the customer had no way of knowing that a 10 cent part could have avoided a new or rebuilt component at several hundred dollars.

This system no longer works with the technology in today's cars. Dealers have to have one or more techs who are really good (and I mean REALLY GOOD) trouble shooters who can find problems in a hurry. Your experience is a good example of what should not happen.

It would be good to know many in this thread have had DCT mechanical failures.