Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Replace master cylinder clutch
View Single Post
Old 10-15-2012, 02:46 AM   #88
FocusGhia
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94579
What I Drive: 2001 Ghia 1.6

Points 543, Level 10
Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10 Points: 543, Level: 10
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 3 FocusGhia Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
For any UK members (or RHD car owners) checking out this thread you will find the steering column (where column joins to rack) runs directly across the clutch master cylinder making it impossible to remove. I recently changed one of these and in order to gain access I firstly used correction fluid to mark between the steering column and its joints (theres two joints), disconnected battery, then I released the bottom bolt (35nm) and moved the column to one side. The bottom bolt on the cmc is quite easy to remove but the upper bolt took an age to fit.....in the end I got someone to hold the top bolt in place with a set of long nose pliers whilst I tightened the bolt.

Also when refitting pattern CMC I found that the new part (made by LUK) did not have any screw threads already cut into it so prior to fitting I screwed the bolts in to make a few threads...without these threads it would of been much harder to get the bolts initially started in situ.

When disconnecting the pipes from the bulkhead make sure you cover the pipe ends to reduce fluid loss.....I used cling-film to wrap one of the ends and found that the clutch bleed nipple cap (once removed from the clutch bleed nipple) was an excellant fit to cover the top pipe.....JUST MAKE SURE YOU REMOVE THE COVER BEFORE REFITTING LOL! Also after removing top of fluid reservoir cover the top with cling film to make an air-tight seal whilst pipes are disconnected....it may not fully stop fluid loss but it will definately reduce it.

As already mentioned in this thread, leave the springs in place on the new part and simply push-fit the clutch pipes into the CMC.

In order to bleed the clutch I simply raised the vehicle (1.6 Zetec) and stuck a bleeder tube and bottle onto the bleed nipple....after opening the bleed nipple I then got someone to pump the pedal several times whilst VERY IMPORTANTLY continually keeping the fluid reservoir topped up to max. You can hear and see the air coming out and it will take a while to fill the new master cylinder but just keep going till you get decent clutch pedal feel.

End result was a cluch that bit lower and felt much more positive.