Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - New 2013, should I have gotten a manual?
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
I love my car, Its gray with the black package and with the 2013 it comes with a very nice spoiler. I wanted a Manual but after concidering the driving I do, it was not practical. now people come up to me saying how nice the car is and if its a manual. Should i have gotten the manual, to you guys, does that change your take on a car once you find out its an automatic or is that just High school kids?
Car technically is a manual, its just a computer controlled automated manual with a pair of clutch disks instead of a torque converter. Since it shifts automatically its considered an auto transmission, but mechanically it shares almost nothing in common with a regular automatic transmission that uses planetary gear sets and lots of hydraulic fluid to control the components behind an inefficient torque converter (when the torque converter's lock up clutch is disengaged the torque converter saps up a lot of power to run itself and pump fluid to the transmission).

If there was a six speed manual available with similar gearing to the DCT I might have considered it, but there wasn't and the 5 speed as nice as it may be and was when I test drove one was down a gear and was also geared shorter for more acceleration and less fuel economy when driven in the same manner. Can you coast with the engine off easier in a manual, or play more hyper-miling tricks, sure, but so what?

I try not to do it all of the time, but its an amazing experience to wind the car out to red line where it is making maximum power and to execute or witness the execution of a perfect no lift shift with no appreciable drop off in power as the next gear is already pre-selected. Or even in manual mode locked in 6th if you ask for a large burst of power the car responds perfectly by dropping into 3rd or 4th and taking off as requested. Sure I could move the stick around to where I wanted it 100% of the time, and I did this for 3 years, but idk, I happen to like the technology, and mine seems to work just fine, maybe its all in the way it learned how to work? I don't really know why some people have issues while others do not, at least beyond the evidence of bad seals and materials changes to the earlier clutches.