Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - Issues with new 2012 Ford Focus
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #1622
unfocused1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95246
What I Drive: 2012 Candy Blue Ford Focus SEL

Points 986, Level 16
Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16 Points: 986, Level: 16
Level Up 86% Completed
Level up: 86% Level up: 86% Level up: 86%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 2 unfocused1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linchpin View Post
Exactly. This is why I believe the issues are mainly software and inadequate communcation/education. How many Focus 2012-13 owners had DCT issues explained by their dealer before or at the time they purchased the car. How about zero? And how many had the issues resolved by their dealer? Not enough which to me is anything less than 100%.

Let's remember too that that Ford knew DCT shifting would be comprimised by tuning it for fuel efficiency. Ford has a mandate to meet fuel efficiency targets when their cars leave the factory. However, I doubt this is an issue if an owner asks the dealer to juice the shifting of the DCT. My mileage dropped slightly after my DCT was dailed in. But it came right back to where it was in a few weeks.
The salesman I dealt with said "Just drive it like an automatic".

The mechanic that I had seen, regarding the low RPM/idle shudder, and reiterated by his supervisor who called me the next day to follow up (which was quite nice, actually), had said to apply more gas and to treat it like a manual transmission. I've never driven a manual before, much less an automated manual... I should re-read some materials, but after reading them the first time, most of my fears were allayed...

My MPG didn't drop much after 12B37, but acceleration was firmer and the shudder problem was eliminated.

Overall, the DCT rocks (it's smoother than anything I've had in the past) but the fear of "the noise" still keeps me needlessly spazzed.