Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum - View Single Post - 02 Focus DOHC Hot Start
View Single Post
Old 10-14-2012, 06:13 PM   #14
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 Focus Wagon; 13 C-Max SEL

Points 27,521, Level 98
Points: 27,521, Level: 98 Points: 27,521, Level: 98 Points: 27,521, Level: 98
Level Up 18% Completed
Level up: 18% Level up: 18% Level up: 18%
Forum Activity 12%
Activity: 12% Activity: 12% Activity: 12%
FF Reputation: 270 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I've seen the ignition switch do this, but I usually expect other problems associated with a bad ignition switch. I'd hate for you to replace it, and that not be the problem.

I'm sort of miffed by the starter relay having burnt looking pins too. All that relay should do is provide a way for the PATS and NS switch to prevent the car from starting. The inertia switch cuts off the fuel pump, so it's obviously working. The starter relay breaks the hot going to the solenoid (the real starter power relay) so that the car won't start either in gear or without the transponder signal from the RFID chip in the key.

Is there anywhere in your area that rebuilds starters? Look in the YP and see if you can find a local rebuilder, either that or ask at local shops. That's who uses those, and what keeps that business in business. Most of the time a local rebuilder will rebuild your starter or alternator cheaper than you can purchase one at a parts store. The work is typically more reliable too because returns are more damaging to small businesses. We've found that local alternator rebuilds are much more reliable.

An old man somewhere in the back of my mind is telling me that an engine that won't start hot has a problem with the starter solenoid.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.