Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Anyone upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 11:31 AM   #50
jamnesta
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 93256
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 jamnesta Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Coupe View Post
Does the center channel grill pop off from the top?

As an ex-audio industry guy (13 years in the stereo biz) I think the system is a little too bright in the midrange - so I'm hoping that disconnecting the center speaker might tone it down a little. Having a midrange speaker that close to angled glass tends to do screwy things to the sound anyway.

I really wish it had a better built-in eq. For a stock system, I still think its pretty impressive. It really just needs a little tweaking. Better quality tweeters might help.
If the center channel had level control it might serve a function, lack of DSP being a curious oversight given minimal cost, ease, and prevalence throughout industry, so disconnecting it is the easy solution, much better in my opinion. This will keep the stage in front of you where it belongs while ridding yourself of the midrangey harshness. Let us know your opinion after you try this.
Lot's of suggestions on how to do it but mine came up very easy just using fingernails to pry it up starting at the window and working toward you. Don't forget to use the convenient dummy plug for the speaker terminal after you disconnect it.