Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Anyone upgraded their Sony 10-speaker stereo?
View Single Post
Old 10-13-2012, 12:32 AM   #47
Linchpin
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103384
What I Drive: 2012 Platinum White Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 Linchpin Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytona Coupe View Post
Does the center channel grill pop off from the top?

As an ex-audio industry guy (13 years in the stereo biz) I think the system is a little too bright in the midrange - so I'm hoping that disconnecting the center speaker might tone it down a little. Having a midrange speaker that close to angled glass tends to do screwy things to the sound anyway.

I really wish it had a better built-in eq. For a stock system, I still think its pretty impressive. It really just needs a little tweaking. Better quality tweeters might help.
Speaker placement is a challenge in any automobile because the audio engineer doesn't have a carte blanche on interior territory. There are limited choices for speaker placement. In the Sony system in the Focus tweeters face across the cockpit at dash level with mids down under the dash also facing across the cockpit. A lot of the sound waves that would normally be reflected in a better audio environment are absorbed except for the mid under the windshield. The hard live glass surface reflects and disperses mid frequency sound waves straight back at the occupants. This can make the system sound harsh and excessively bright. One way to suppress this is to shift the audio centre slightly behind the front seats.

I agree that the built-in eq is not very effective. You can make the system sound a lot better with either the eq built into the iPad or iPhone or through the use of an eq app. My favourite is EQu. It has a number of presets that allow the user to quickly compare a number of choices then fine tune the one they like by manipulating the eq curve with their finger.

Since eqs are digital it would not be hard for Ford to add an eq like EQu and 4 off centre audio imaging presets to help users figure out which direction to adjust the centre.