Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Smoke coming from 2002 Zetec by dipstick
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
weirdal1968
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 91017
What I Drive: 2002 Red Zetec SE Wagon

Points 194, Level 3
Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3 Points: 194, Level: 3
Level Up 88% Completed
Level up: 88% Level up: 88% Level up: 88%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 weirdal1968 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The leak is more prominent on the passenger side and it has been leaking for a long time. Directly underneath there is a bolted on pan that was COVERED in leaked oil. The other side is probably why a replacement thermostat housing failed after less than 6 months. One of the bolt holes showed signs of melting - probably from the hot oil.

Now for the good news...

The dealership ordered the wrong part so I didn't get the right one until Thursday. Worked until after dark to chop out the old line and it had collapsed flat. The end near the EGR valve came off with 15 minutes work but the other end was a knucklebuster. I had to take a razorblade and carefully chop chunks off the hose until the nipple was exposed. The clamp absolutely would not budge so I gave up for the night. Today I examined a clear pic of the single use clamp and figured out where I needed to push to make it release. Nailed it on the first try! Hold the blade of a flathead screwdriver parallel to the clamp from the drivers side and push against the bump in the middle. It didn't take much pressure because I had removed most of the deteriorated hose. YMMV. Installing the new hose was a cakewalk and I didn't have to remove the black box or even move the power steering tank. Used a new regular hose clamp and cinched it down until it was just tight enough.

Due to all the oil that had leaked I used the remainder of a can of MAF sensor cleaner to wash off the dirty spots so I could easily spot the leak source. Washed and waited for the cleaner to evaporate. Started her up and the idle was definitely quieter. Still lots of vibration but I haven't replaced the PCV valve yet. Ran a bunch of errands and the white smoke never returned so I think it was just the valve cover leak causing most of my problems. Drove for at least 45 minutes and the lip around the valve cover stayed free of oil so I think I might be in the clear.

Once I replace the PCV valve, I want to try my hand at Sea Foam to clean out the gunk. At 166K I suspect there is some evil snot hanging out in the system. I'm also planning on trying my hand at my first DIY oil and filter change since I'll need to do that after the treatment.