Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum - View Single Post - Replace master cylinder clutch
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #87
Gudziel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72249
What I Drive: 2007 Aqua Blue ZX4 SE

Points 2,217, Level 28
Points: 2,217, Level: 28 Points: 2,217, Level: 28 Points: 2,217, Level: 28
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 15%
Activity: 15% Activity: 15% Activity: 15%
FF Reputation: 2 Gudziel Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
WARNING: Newbie on board, you're about to read some very dumb questions.

I found this forum through a Google search for replacing a bad CMC. Luckily, this thread with the picture tutorial came up. Now I do not know about working on cars. But I do know how to change the basics (tires, brakes, oil). So doing a job like this can be a bit daunting. This tutorial has helped me to realize that I am capable of doing the job myself, rather than paying $400 for a shop to do it. So for that, I'm grateful. But I do have a couple of newbie questions that I hope I can get help with.

1) In Step10, you drained your brake/clutch reservoir with a turkey baster. So you completely removed all signs of fluid from within the tank and threw it out. How did you not manage to have to bleed your brake lines since they are "Y"d off from the same reservoir? (I take it that there was still fluid left in the brake lines which prevented air from going down to the brakes. Just was unsure when you filled the reservoir back up, how you made sure air did not some how get trapped in the brake lines.)

2) In Step11 & 12, you deal with the lines under the hood. Am I just to work on the top line ONLY, or disconnect both lines and cover them up with a paper towel? (From my lack of knowledge, I take it that these two lines connect to the CMC and provide the fluid. Emptying the reservoir prevents all the fluid from flowing out of these lines when they are disconnected???? Like I said, I'm a newbie)

3) In Step14, you locate the bleed plug. Where exactly is this at? Under the hood, under the chassis? Sorry but I can't exactly figure it out by the picture itself.

4) One Final Question, and biggest of all. I've never had to bleed lines before. So I do not know when I find the bleed valve, the proper procedure to bleed the lines. I plan on doing this the old fashion way, no tools, let it bleed into a container below with gravity. Can you point me in a direction for proper bleed technique, such as on youtube or another post? I've done several searches but can't find a good, reliable source.

I really appreciate any help anyone can provide. This tutorial is amazing, and I'm definitely giving a +1 to rep. I just need a bit more help to understand why I'm doing what I am doing and how to bleed a line.

Thank you all for your help,

-G

Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime.