Old 10-11-2012, 10:54 PM   #1
Ferox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104757
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus Se

FF Reputation: 1 Ferox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just bought my first Focus

Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2002 Focus Se 4 door Auto with a bad SPI motor. Not 100% sure if it's a valve seat or just a Head Gasket, haven't heard the entire back story on what happened to it. All I know for sure currently is the oil is very diluted with coolant and as expected looks like peanut butter.

The car itself is in great shape and was well taken care of. Has just over 144k on it. I have read enough about these Engine's that I have already decided to go the Zetec swap route vs wasting time on another SPI. I have found a few write ups and plenty of information on the Engine swap itself and have been writing up a list of what i'll need. What I haven't found much information on is also swaping to a Manual transaxle. Im planning on Daily Driving this Focus after the swap and I just can't bring myself to drive an Automatic. I figured since I'll already be swapping the motor I might as well swap out the Trans.

A little history about myself, I have plenty of experience in the auto industry including time as a tech for a local Ford Dealership. I have done similar swaps in ford Probes, DSM's and others so I am familiar with the process. I will be doing all the work myself at home.

I am looking for more information on what parts exactly I need especially for the mtx swap. I will continue searching for more information on my own but any help with links or tips is greatly appreciated.