Focus Fanatics - View Single Post - Transmission/Clutch Slipping (OBD2 Plots)
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 01:20 PM   #16
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox-y-GenIII View Post
You are saying because of clutch slippage, but isn't it technically going to have to raise the rpms to stay at 55 mph because the car will need more torque to overcome the incline at the same speed?

its like walking up hill. You need more effort (rpm per say) to keep climbing the hill at the same speed.
Don't confuse RPMs with power (though, they are related.) You will need more gas and oxygen to climb this hill (which makes power) but you can create the same amount of power at different RPMs feathering it in 4th might make the same amount of power as moderate pressure in 2nd gear, etc. because that’s tied to torque and speed.

You don’t need to pedal your bike up the hill any faster to keep the same speed (bikes make more sense in this example); you’re just pushing yourself harder to keep the same rotational velocity. It’s easier to just downshift.

But what’s going on for the OP (and my own car) is that we’re at a relatively reasonable RPM range (1,200-1,500) for a slight incline and the clutch starts slipping so the RPMs go up but the speed of the car is going down. This results in some fun noises that shouldn’t happen. If we are truly bogging the engine down, the clutches shouldn’t slip, the car should just downshift – especially because this is an “automatic” transmission and Joe Scmhoe across the street doesn’t realize that he’s going to have to punch it and force it to downshift… nor should he have to do that. Because if there’s a car in front of him and he doesn’t have selectshift, he can’t easily force a downshift and is stuck with the clutch slipping.

I guess what I’m trying to say is: It shouldn’t happen.